7 Powerful Brain Foods
by Awakening People
The brain may be the smallest organ in the body, but its importance cannot be underestimated. It may come as a shock for some, but it is a fact that the brain is used in almost every aspect of our lives. May it be walking, talking, eating, sleeping or even thinking.
1. Wild Salmon. The brain is said to be mostly made up of Omega-3 fatty acids known as docosahexaenoic acids (DHA). These building blocks are essential for the proper functioning of the body. Since the body cannot internally manufacture DHA, we are required to get it from a diet. Wild salmon is a great source of the Omega-3 fatty acid. Consuming wild salmon ensures that the brain has enough supply of the much needed DHA.
2. Berries. Berries especially blueberries are known to have an antioxidant effect on the brain. This means that they help protect the brain cells from loose radicals caused as a result of oxidation. Consumption of berries also alters neuron communication and in the process prevents inflammation that may lead to brain damage. Lastly components in the berries reduce brain aging-related complications such as Alzheimer’s disease and Dementia.
3. Whole grain. Though the brain may be among the smallest organs in the body, it consumes more than 20% of all the calorie intake. It is, therefore, important that we consume foods that have high calorie content but are still healthy. Whole grains such as oatmeal and whole grain bread helps serve the metabolic demands of the brain and especially in young growing minds. Whole grain also promotes cardiovascular health. Free flow of blood in the body ensures that all the organs are supplied with enough oxygen. The brain is not an exemption. In fact, the brain requires a lot of oxygen for oxidation purposes.
4. Apples. An apple as a fruit is considered a healthy dietary food. Traditionally, the apple’s importance was recognized through and the adage 'an apple a day keeps the doctor away.' Just like the berries, the Apple is considered as an antioxidant and relieves an individual from oxidative stress. It also protects an individual from age-related conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease and Dementia.
5. Avocado. Avocados are rich in monounsaturated fats that are considered by experts to be healthy fats. These fats help in reducing LDL cholesterol that is thought to be responsible for the hardening of blood vessels. Hardening of blood vessels may lead to high blood pressure that may lead to a stroke. A healthy blood flow ensures that the brain also remains healthy.
6. Nuts and seeds. Most nuts and seeds are said to be good sources of vitamin E. Vitamin E is strongly linked to the sustenance of razor a sharp mind. In other words, taking in nuts and seeds that are rich vitamins E helps prevent memory loss even with increasing age.
7. Dark chocolate. Chocolate has may other benefits besides being a sweet snack. Dark chocolate is known to have strong antioxidant properties. It is also said to contain stimulants such as caffeine that enhance focus and concentration.
It is important that you know the right kind of food to consume so as to maintain a healthy brain. The listed foods are only part of what is available. There are so many other food sources that can help you maintain a healthy brain. It is, therefore, your obligation to go out there and find out more foods that will help you maintain a healthy brain.
Discover How To Cope With Psychic Headaches
Dreamy Empathetic Pisces